Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is the sixth oldest and among the most highly ranked tertiary education institutions in Greece. It is named after the philosopher Aristotle, who was born in Stageira, about 55 km east of Thessaloniki. It is the largest university in Greece and in the Balkans. Its campus covers 230,000 square metres in the centre of Thessaloniki, with additional educational and administrative facilities elsewhere. The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki was founded in 1925 during the premiership of Alexandros Papanastassiou and was legislated under Law 3341/14-6-25. It was the second Greek university to be founded after the University of Athens, which was established in 1837. The university was built on top of the remains of what had once been the Jewish cemetery in Thessaloniki, until the cemetery’s tragic destruction during the Nazi occupation.
The SISSA Library contains more than 22.000 books, 18.000 bound journals, all SISSA theses (Ph.D. and Magister) and currently subscribes to about 150 printed and more than 6000 online scientific journals. During the most of the year, the Library is open from 8.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m., and can be accessed by SISSA registered users 24 hours a day. In summer (July 1 to August 31) the Library is open from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday closed), but users can access it using the self-check system for loans and returns whilst the library is closed. This operation works only if library users have the appropriate library card “badge” (with photo) and if it has been registered in the SISSA library database. If users don’t have the appropriate badge they can go to the SISSA post office to receive it. Once in possession of the proper badge, users are requested to come to the SISSA library loan desk and ask librarians to add it to the SISSA database.
University of Botswana library
The University of Botswana library has been in existence since 1971 when the first thousand volumes were housed in an unused church building in the village of Gaborone. The first official building was opened in 1986, which was two stories tall and contained only five computers. In 2001, the library moved to a new building, more than tripling its size. The new main library is one of the largest university libraries in Africa with five floors.