Beilinson Hospital was founded in 1936 to serve the nearby agricultural settlements. All Jewish workers in central Palestine agreed to donate two days’ worth of wages toward its construction. The hospital opened with 70 beds. It was named for Dr. Moshe Beilinson, one of its founders.

HaSharon Hospital was built in 1942 as an extension of Beilinson. In 1954, a new building in the International Style was designed by Arieh Sharon and Benjamin Idelson, pioneers of Israeli modernist architecture.

In 1938, the country’s first blood bank was established at Beilinson. Beilinson Hospital was the first medical institution in the country to have a dermatology department, a nephrology institute, and a dialysis unit. In 1968, the first heart transplant in Israel was performed there. The first implantation of an artificial heart in Israel was performed at Beilinson in 1995.

 

free-trial2